Sunday, January 22, 2006

Moultonic Values

Since the Media Ethics class is doing an exercise sorting out declarations of personal values from perceptions of media values, I thought it might be fair to unveil any mystery about my values.

My values have changed a bit since I first did a Values Clarification Exercise a few decades ago. Back in the late 70's, when I was in mid-career, I listed my values as Creativity, Wisdom, Integrity, Achievement, and Freedom.

Today, I would list them as Insight, Innovation, Creativity, Functionality, and Peace.

I haven't thought too much about Media Values, but it occurs to me that Storycraft, Attention, Accuracy, Integrity, and Leadership are typical media values.

It occurs to me that one of the biggest challenges facing the media is the need to tell a coherent and compelling story without compromising the essential truth.

I imagine there must be times when a news-oriented journalist envies the gifted novelist. Fiction-writing is a great scam. A novelists gets to tell the truth while pretending to lie.

No comments: