Monday, April 03, 2006

Risky business

I don't think a journalist can ask a source to share information that will risk their life or their safety. However, if that source is informed that there is a risk factor involved, then that source should use his or her agency (and ethics) to make that personal choice. If the source holds a truth then he decides to share or not to share. Maybe there is a price to be collected for the risk? Most of us have a price. Especially when endangerment is a possibility. I hope that a journalist wouldn't use that source as a means to get the story. I remember in my notes the idea that Mill had. "An acts "rightness" is determined by the outcome". Telling the truth and risking the livelihood of a source may promote the greater good for the greater number, but I'm still torn in determining if that's the "right" choice.

No comments: