Friday, March 10, 2006

Choose your words wisely

My opinions on PR and journalism? Are they symbiotic? I suppose they would have to be. After all, PR is an emphasis under the JOURNALISM major. I actually don't know about the PR emphasis. Let's see. Press releases are part of it. I suppose in that aspect they have to depend on their skills as journalists to avoid libelous statements.

But when it comes to being directly symbiotic, I would argue that they are not. I would say, even though I have a feeling I'm wrong, that the two fields could operate independently from each other, for the most part. At least journalism could operate independently of PR. PR, on the other hand, might need journalists to get their information to the public. But I think that's about the extent of it.

Is their relationship strained? Mmm............debating.............I don't think so. Let's see. I imagine that one could get on the other's nerves now and again. Noone likes a nag. But I think, for the most part, that their relationsihp is pretty stagnant.

1 comment:

Aggie Blue said...

Is their relationship strained? Mmm............debating.............I don't think so. Let's see. I imagine that one could get on the other's nerves now and again. Noone likes a nag. But I think, for the most part, that their relationsihp is pretty stagnant.

Interesting comment, Jen, but give this more thought.

You've probably heard that it's a one-way door between the two professions. In other words, if you start out in journalism you can switch into PR later, but you can't go from PR into journalism.

That's not just a rumor. It's true. What do you think might be the reasoning behind it?