Saturday, February 11, 2006

Problems and Thoughts about Loyalty

Aggie Blue said, "...can you see specific problems that result from making loyalty a guiding principle?"

Yes, if loyalty gets caught up in whether or not to lie and possibly do an unlawful thing then problems will arise. For example say you were called as a witness and were asked under oath about a situation involving money embezzling and the CEO of the firm you worked for. An ethical decision will need to be made and hopefully loyalty to yourself and your career will be the decision you choose. The one you were so loyal to before will not be protected (hopefully) because lying in high profile situations are not worth loosing credibility, your good name and status in such a competitive business for.

Journalists and public relations practitioners need to be loyal to themselves their profession and to their audience. Loyalty ranks very high on my scale of professional values but like my example there will always be problems. Deciphering when to be loyal or when to step back to protect yourself is the tough part.

3 comments:

Aggie Blue said...

You write:

Journalists and public relations practitioners need to be loyal to themselves their profession and to their audience."

Help me out here. :) Think about the question a little more deeply; it's really not a no-brainer.

Journalists owe a primary duty to a different audience than PR people do. What's the name of that difference?

Loyalty ranks very high on my scale of professional values but like my example there will always be problems.

How do you make a decision between competing loyalties when there's a problem? What does your scale of professional values consist of? And as for loyalty, what's your loyalty to? Is being loyal to yourself a different thing from being loyal to a company?

galit said...

Aggie Blue, you are right journalists and PR practitioners are different in their purpose. PR is mainly involved with building relationships between organizations, corporations, brands, people etc. and their key audiences. Journalists have a broader audience, they are the voice for entire communities. Journalists and PR practitioners do work together, PR is suppose to be a facilitator to the press and the public.

Competing loyalties will be weighed if there is ever a feeling that I might loose credibility, my job or do something unlawful. I will be loyal to my company as long as I can remain credible and lawful. There is definitely a line between being loyal to myself vs. my company. I will do everything in my power to make sure my company keeps a good name as long as mine is upheld too.

My professional values: honesty, research, communication and planning.

Aggie Blue said...

Thanks for clarifying, Lydia, and for listing your professional values.