Monday, February 06, 2006

Here are some of the ethical problems I came up with... I'm sure they have all been mentioned!

~The dectective at the beginning left the file on the table on purpose... He wanted the story to be leaked and Megan snooped through the file.
~She printed the story on Gallagher when she wasn't sure of the truth. Which caused him to have a ruined reputation by the end of the movie.
~She ended up getting so involved with Gallagher that she couldn't keep her personal life out of her job.
~Because Megan was involved and "cared for" Gallagher, she reveals her source to him.
~The attitude/philosophy of Megan's editor that you can either print what is true or not hurt people but you can't do both.

The one I found to be most problematic was that Megan printed the story of Gallagher's alibi which in turn led to the suicide of his good friend. I did not think that the story was necessary to print. I think that this was a great example of when reporters get too involved. I think that if anything was going to be printed it should have said that he was with a friend that was having a medical procedure. I can't begin to imagine how ashamed and horrible Theresa was feeling.

2 comments:

Aggie Blue said...

"Megan printed the story of Gallagher's alibi which in turn led to the suicide of his good friend. I did not think that the story was necessary to print. I think that this was a great example of when reporters get too involved. I think that if anything was going to be printed it should have said that he was with a friend that was having a medical procedure."

Megan made this same argument to her editor, remember. And he said the only reason he believed the story was because of the abortion. Can you continue your case and come up with a compelling answer Megan could have made, rather than acquiescing to the editor?

mlwilson said...

I still do not know why Megan couldn't have told her editor that it was a medical procedure. I think that that is a good enough excuse. By printing the story about her abortion, it makes her give her school a bad name. She worked at a Catholic school where things like that are looked down on. Therefore she felt the stress of the story and decided to end her life. She was embarrassed and ashamed of what she did. The abortion could have been because she was raped or because her life was in danger, no matter the circumstance the story should not have been printed. Megan should have told her editor that it was for a medical procedure and that's all. It is sad that Theresa did not know the impact that Megan had. She was not aware that she had to tell Megan not to print the alibi before she told what it was (I did not either and I am sure there are others how do not know this).