Monday, February 27, 2006

heard of a watchdog??

The media doesn't exist in this day and age to protect the government. In fact, political speech and criticism is the most protected in America. If I remember correctly, and I do, the press is supposed to be a watchdog of the government to protect citizens from intrusion such as the wiretapping.

As we wrote about our loyalties, I know many of us listed the public on or near the top of our lists. However, I don't remember seeing too many people have the government as a priority with loyalty. I believe the press's responsibility is to inform the public, especially about any known government misconduct.

In the case of the wiretapping, it's expected for the government to keep it a secret. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. The government should definitely look out for national security; it's their job. However, it's not the media's job. Although the press should, of course, keep national security in mind when making their decision, they should weigh the matter appropriately. I don't expect the press to release where our troops are located or other critical information, but with the wiretapping issue, the public's right to know seemed, to me, to outweigh the national security "crisis."

No comments: