Wednesday, January 18, 2006

values blog

My name is Melissa Bruinsholz (don't worry about the last name) everyone calls me Missy. I just transfered here this semester from BYUI and I am going into P.R.
My top five personal values are family, religion, life, education, and money. I believe that I have some similarities with the media's values. I think the media values drama and scandal, money, sex, politics, tradgedy/death/blood, and although I don't think they always do it, truth.
Looking at the values that I have come up with for myself and the media I know that I fit in well enough with education and money. However, I think there are some conflicts when it comes down to my value of family, religion, and life.
I don't predict these to be gigantic problems but I would be a fool if I said they wouldn't cause any problem at all. I hope that in the work force I'm not asked to do somthing I view as unethical or against my moral code, but I doubt that will happen. I guess that is what this class is all about, to push our values and see what we'll do. I know that I will have to make some judgement calls in my job, more than most people will because of the field I am going into, but I am excited to dig in and look at what we come out with.
posted by missy @ 7:14 PM 0 comments

1 comment:

Moulton said...

Religion, in its broadest sense, encompasses beliefs and practices, including beliefs adopted on faith, and idiosyncratic practices which amount to belief-driven rituals.

Life is a sequence of personal experiences, many of which contribute to our education, and some of which may be dramatic and emotional passages (including some chagrinworthy episodes that bring sadness or embarrassment).

Families are comprised of many characters with whom we have continuing relationships, not unlike a soap opera. Conflicts are likely to arise from dissimilar beliefs, incompatible practices, or competing values.

But for every value, there is the reciprocal disvalue or dread. Our dreads are partly inherited through cultural transmission of values/disvalues and partly acquired as a result of trouble-ridden and chagrinworthy life experiences.

Out of this milieu arises many stories, some of which are fun and easy to tell, and some of which amount to painful memoirs that we carry around like so much hidden and half-forgotten baggage.

Is there an issue of morality in exposing and revealing the untold stories of our lives?