Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Planting Roots--a journey of ethical reasoning

When I was young I'm sure my ethical structure was based of that of my parents. Considering my background, I'm sure they weren't perfect, probably a little perverse in areas. But I was innocent in most aspects of life. I grew up on a farm. My family weren't farmers by trade but that didn't keep me from learning the finer things in life the old fashion way. I'm sure that my ethics system has matured as I have gotten older, but I'm not sure that is always a good thing. Sometimes I miss the simple innocence of childhood. It was easier when actions were simply right or wrong, and you didn't have to worry about the gray area. I don't think I have a specific theory I embrace, but I do think I take the best of all the options. I'm sure my religious affiliation has a serious impact on my view of the world. In fact, of all the ethical value option out there, religion is the one I practice the most and that guides me through most of my moral paradoxes.

No comments: