Tuesday, January 24, 2006

My Values

My name is Kathryn Kemp. I am a junior at USU and a print journalism major. I don't have a minor declared yet, but it will probably be Sociology. My values may not be exactly what the media values, but I think there is a parallel... and if nothing else, a way to combine them together.
First and foremost I value people. This encompasses a lot of things...family, friends and even strangers. The people in my life are the most important thing to me, because that is what makes life worthwhile. I will do anything for someone I care about. Even if it means giving up something myself. Second, I value honesty and integrity. It is so important for me to be able to trust and rely on someone. It is one of my biggest pet peeves to know when someone isn't being completely honest with me or someone else. Lies can only get a person so far in life before it ends up bringing them down. Third, I value service or charity. I don't think the world could function without people taking care of each other. No one is perfect at it, but I think the effort to do good makes a difference. Fourth, I value knowledge. Sometimes school is stressful, but I always appreciate the knowledge that I gain from it. I love to learn, and I think one of the best things a person can do in this life is to get all the knowledge they can, and never stop looking for more. Finally, I value my religion. I am a very active member of the LDS church, and I value everything about my membership. The morals and values I am taught, the things I feel, the responsibilities I have, the people I know, the scriptures...the list goes on. My religion has helped make me who I am today, so it is very important to me.

These values are similar to the media in some ways, and different in others. As far as people goes, the media cares about people to a point, and their audience, but sometimes they have to hurt, pressure and push some people to get their stories, and that is a little harder for me to do. As far as honesty, it is extremely important for the media to be honest so, if for nothing else, they avoid libel suits. Service...the media is supposed to serve the community. Knowledge... they are supposed to inform the public. So although the media may value these things for different reasons than me, I think that in a way at least some of our values can be lined up. And in the places that they don't, maybe I can make a difference.

No comments: