Saturday, January 28, 2006

my ethics and where they came from

Media Ethics: Into the pot, already boiling...
looking back on my ethical upbringing I think it is like most christan house holds. I was pushed toward Kants "do unto others as you would have others do unto you" However, It wasn't total condemnation for any lie told.
my dad was a big supporter of helping the underdog. So I would also say that Ralls "speak for those that cant speak for themselves," was also a very true part of my upbringing and has stayed with me.
I still have those ethical beliefs today, but looking at the differences in men and women I also believe Gilligan that there is a very distinct separation between men and women in how they interpret ethics and justice.
I was brought up more duty based going along with Kant again with the strict duties, don't hurt anyone, and the meritorious duties such as develope talents, help others in need of aid etc. . .
One of the biggest reasons that I am duty based would have to do with the way I was brought up.

No comments: