Monday, January 23, 2006

Me vs. Media

The birthplace of my ethical reasoning started simply at home. I was raised in the kind of family that, for the most part, believed in the standard values LDS homes are noted for: honesty, integrity, dedication, and so on. But my main growth and development happened in my early teens when my family broke apart and my values started to conflict with my reality. I stilled believed in family values, but the definitions of them became skewed slightly from the traditional versions. My growth in ethical reasoning became even more askew when I became a journalist and was suddenly playing for a team that didn't seem to always follow my choice of values. Media have a tendency to sell sensationalism and worry first about the buck and last about the person. Although those tendencies trouble me, I have discovered that journalists have another unexplored side. Like Shakespeare wrote in Julius Caesar, "The evil men do lives after them, the good is often interred with their bones." It is easier to forget the value journalist have in a community when the bad stuff is so over powering. Journalists and media can be evil, but I am one who would prefer to accept that as truth yet focus on the good things media try to provide like objective, accurate, and fair information about the world around us. They are not going to get it right all the time, but as long as they are doing whatever they can to get it right the first time, I am willing to let a few things slide not only as a journalist myself, but as a media consumer.

No comments: